To draw into, involve, engross, hold the attention of, fascinate; to enter into and participate.
EngAGE is a nonprofit that takes a whole-person approach to creative and healthy aging by providing arts, wellness, lifelong learning, community building and intergenerational programs to thousands of seniors living in affordable senior apartment communities in Southern California. EngAGE was founded in 1999 as More Than Shelter For Seniors and is a nonprofit hired by the owners of affordable senior apartment communities to deliver a new kind of program that truly engages people and provides them with a sense of self-awareness, value and community.
EngAGE serves low- and moderate-income seniors between the ages of 55 and 100+.
Here are some pertinent facts about the population:
- Average age: 77 years old
- Gender: 68% female
- Marital Status: primarily widows/widowers
- Race: 15% African American, 10% Asian American, 35% Caucasian, 20% Latino/Hispanic, 20% Multicultural/Ethnic (Russian, Eastern European, etc.)
- Average income: $10,800 per year
- Only 46% still own a car and less drive
- Only 16% are still employed
- Only 22% engaged in activity prior to EngAGE - 59% engage now
Burbank Senior Artists Colony
EngAGE catalyzed the development of and provides programs for The Burbank Senior Artists Colony, a first-of-its-kind 141-unit senior apartment community that offers art and creativity as the core physical and intellectual unifying amenity. The community features a theater group, independent film company, fine arts collective, music program, intergenerational arts program with the Burbank Unified School District and the following amenities for artists in their second 50 years of creativity: 60-seat Theatre, Arts Studios, Music Performance Spaces, Computer Media Arts Center, Digital Filmmaking Lab, Outdoor Performance Areas, Art Gallery and Sculpture Garden.